Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Kerala Upma

I had never tasted tapoica in this form until I got married. All credit goes to Amma for making me fall in love with this signature Palakkad speciality. Enjoy.


Ingredients
3 medium sized tapoica (available frozen at Lulu, Khimji's Mart, etc)
1 tsp turmeric powder
3 green chillies, slit lengthwise
1 inch piece of ginger chopped
2 medium sized onions finely chopped
2tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp urad dal
2 tsp channa dal
1 tbsp oil
Curry leaves
Salt to taste

Chop tapoica into medium sized cubes and boil with salt and turmeric in water. Strain when tapoica becomes soft but don't overcook. Let it cool.
In a pan, add a little oil, add mustard seeds, the dals and curry leaves and allow to temper. Then add chillies, ginger and onions and saute well.

Add the tapoica pieces and mix well. After five minutes switch off flame.

3 comments:

Namrata Khona said...

Once I break my fast ...i am gonna make this .....looks yummmmmmmmmmmy

Namrata Khona said...

Rekha ...I am gonna make this .....once i break my fast. Have had it a couple of times earlier and it is yummmmmmmmmmmmmy.

Thr Bone Doc said...

Time to try out my culinary skills again.....got my Amma & Appa with me, so i will get the compliments whichever way it turns out in the end ;-)